Plastics, solvents, synthetic or natural products used in applications like building (floor and wall coverings, paints, varnishes, sealants, glues, insulation materials, furniture…), transport (seats, dashboards, roof stuffing…) and packaging show an increasing complexity, involving many additives which may emit volatile organic compounds (VOC) and/or odorous substances. These chemicals may have negative effects on the well-being (undesirable smells) and health (allergies, eyes and throat irritations, headaches…) of the people exposed.
End-users new expectations and specifications (low odour and emission products) as well as new or forthcoming directives & regulations (low VOC level, low odour, low specific migration limit,NIAS – Non Intentionally Added Substances ……) have generated new market needs for reliable testing conditions. In this context, a reliable partner able to provide a complete emissions characterisation as well as a full support for new products development is key to success.
Combining its skills in air sampling and analysis with its know-how in material science, Certech has developed leading edge expertise in assessing and managing gaseous emissions produced by materials.
Certech competences and services include:
- Evaluation of the odours and chemicals (VOC, fogging), particles or microbiological compounds emitted by materials, based on the most recent standards.
- Migration tests and development of barrier materials.
- Identification of contaminants such as NIAS (Non Intentionally Added Substances)
- Simulation of the service-life conditions of materials (test under controlled conditions: emission chamber, emission cell).
- Methods adaptation, customers-specific tests or development of customised tests (e.g. simulation of compounding conditions).
- Chemicals risk assessment on health.
- Selection of low odour and low emission material complying with the latest regulations.
- Remediation: formulation of less odorous and less emissive products.
- Support to raw material suppliers and equipment manufacturers to develop products meeting the required new specifications
- Technology and regulatory watch