The aim of this research is the development of an innovative process for recycling end-of-life and post-industrial wastes of PMMA (poly(methylmethacrylate)), by converting these difficult-to-recycle wastes into a high quality secondary raw material: second generation methylmethacrylate (MMA) or rMMA.
Being active for more than 20 years in the field of recycling and waste recovery, Certech’s activities in this project integrate the following topics:
- Identification of different sources of end-of-life and post-industrial PMMA
- Characterisation of the incoming streams of PMMA waste in terms of composition (polymers, fillers, fibers, additives, etc.) in order to establish the link with the performance of the depolymerisation process.
- Classification and standardisation of wastes to generate guidelines for the PMMA scrap producers/suppliers.
- Characterisation of the volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and odors of rMMA and the PMMA produced therefrom in order to refine the purification process. Certech will identify the substances (VOC, odors) that could harm the exposed workers and will propose solutions.
- Coordination of a work package which consists in evaluating the valorisation of the rMMA and the PMMA produced therefrom as well as the side products (inorganic) obtained during the depolymerisation process.